Friday, 27 July 2012

Thank You!

I have a friend who is posting 365 days of gratitude on his Facebook, he is up to day 253 and I am genuinely impressed. I know we have a lot of things to be thankful for, but the consistency and creativity he has shown is inspiring. Well, almost inspiring, because much as I have thought a number of times to join him in his year of gratitude, I'd hate to get to day 72, or 105, or whatever and hit a wall. So I'm grateful that I know my limitations and that I have a friend who reminds me to appreciate what I have in life.

Whilst doing an assignment for my studies recently I thought of my friend because one of the authors suggested the importance of developing a theology of gratitude. My assignment was considering the stress related illness, depression, burnout and withdrawal from ministry of pastors in Western nations. Research has found that one of the factors that assisted in decreasing the alarming attrition rate and assisting in longevity in ministry was gratitude. Minsters who had learned to be grateful were healthier and more likely to continue in their vocation than those who hadn't.

In the study they asked people to list five things they were thankful for over a ten week period. The results were compared to another groups who wrote down ten irritants. At the end of the ten weeks the people who were grateful had a more positive view of life than the second group. The results suggested that developing a spiritual discipline of gratitude is one way to build resiliency in life. Coupled with another study that highlighted the importance of 'flexibility' and 'buoyancy' in life, the year long commitment of my friend would suggest that if we were all more intentionally grateful for the good things in life we would be healthier people and enjoying our lives a lot more.

In 1Thess. 5:16-18, we read, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." The verse reads as though God's will is that we learn to be thankful, to be grateful. I think that we benefit from being grateful not only for the positive effects it has on our spiritual and emotional, well-being, but also for how it affects our relationships.

When we are grateful we tend to appreciate people more. Everyone needs to be and feel appreciated. There is so much in life that goes un-noticed, so many things that may be done for others, often as part of a daily routine, that become expected or even taken for granted. Most of us lead busy, often stressful lives, and in the 'rush' of life we miss the opportunities to appreciate the people who contribute to our days. In our homes, in the workplace, at the coffee shop or super-market, in traffic or in a queue, there are a myriad moments in our lives when we can pause for a moment and express our gratitude. It doesn't take long, it doesn't cost anything. It may be as simple as not answering the mobile when paying for groceries and taking that opportunity to thank the check-out person properly and afford them the dignity of your full attention.

Over the course of my life we have become far more aware of our rights and value - probably even demand - that we are treated in a way we feel we deserve. I know that having been involved in people related industries my entire working life I am very aware of the times I receive what I consider to be bad customer service. Though I rarely mention it, I certainly note places that won't be receiving my business in future. But how often do I appropriately appreciate good customer service? Many times, but not enough.

There is an old proverb that goes something like this, "I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet." Developing intentional gratitude serves to remind us that whatever we may be experiencing, not only are there people worse off than ourselves but that we have much to be thankful for. Very few people (actually, no one) I know are in the position where their lives are so difficult they have nothing to be thankful for. I have some friends who have recently lost their daughter to cancer. She was an incredibly vibrant and gifted young woman with so much to offer our world. The courage and dignity with which the whole family negotiated this tragedy was inspiring, their courage and faith was staggering, and the gratitude they expressed for the years they shared was humbling.

Life is difficult, often very challenging, sometimes filled with sorrow and grief. Yet life is a gift, every breath brings the possibility of something new, every step takes us into the undiscovered country of our future. Be grateful. There are so many people I can be grateful for, so many experiences and joys I can appreciate, so many smiles and laughs and sunrises and sunsets that I can be thankful to have known.

So I am grateful. I am grateful for a friend whose Facebook reminds me that I am blessed, for others who remind me that my response to life depends on me not circumstances, for family that know me and still love me, for a wife who is more than I ever dreamed of, and for a God who was gracious in blessing me with these people, and the breath to enjoy them.

So, "thank you."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment